[Amps] RMS Power

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] RMS Power
From: Peter.Chadwick@zarlink.com (Peter Chadwick)
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 14:48:39 -0000
Gary said:

>Then they will proceed to tell you about "peak music power", the "new way to
rate
>amplifiers".

I don't really know when this started, but I do remember a guy some 30 years ago
who bought reject 3 watt AF amplifier devices from Plessey Semiconductors. These
were 3 watts single tone. He sold them under his part number as '10 watt
amplifiers' I never could understand the reasoning (???) behind 'music power'
ratings.

So does it go with the requirement to change the Class A output tube every 300
hours, hand wind the transformer with silver wire (does it need rolling on the
thighs of Taiwanese girls in the same way as cigars are supposedly rolled on the
thighs of Cuban girls?) and use  gold plated pins on the mains plug?

73

Peter G3RZP