[Amps] Why hasn't solid state replaced tubes?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Why hasn't solid state replaced tubes?
From: wc6w at juno.com (Radio WC6W)
Date: Tue Mar 4 12:28:37 2003
On Mon, 3 Mar 2003 15:09:33 -0500 "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
writes:
> >    For 1500 watts out it would take say... 4 - MRF154's.  Those
> probably
> > would cost at least $1000 at an OEM level,
>
> It is less expensive and more reliable to use multiple MRF150's.
>
> First, heat is spread out over a larger area.
>
> Second, the RF layout would be better
>
> Third, cost goes down because component quantities increase
>
> Last time I looked at wholesale cost, I could buy 20 MRF150's for
> $1000.
>
> 73 Tom

Hi Tom,
   Well, then, the state of the art hasn't advanced at all in the last 20
years...  that's about what Helge's article used in 1982.

    The cost of four times as many parts (transistors, passives,
splitters, combiners, circuit boards, assembly labor) plus the implied
reduced reliability (based on parts count) might still favor the larger
transistors.

   Do you happen to know if the '154's are made with 4 matched 150 die?
or are they for "real"?

73 & Good morning,
   Marv  WC6W

*