[Amps] MRF150 based 1500 watt amp design/cost

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] MRF150 based 1500 watt amp design/cost
From: w8ji at contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Thu Mar 6 06:15:57 2003
> As long as we're just designing this thing on paper, why wouldn't it make
> sense to design for a 50-ohm output impedance, forget the low pass
filters,
> and instead include a low-pass-type autotuner permanently in line as part
> of the amplifier?  Isn't this essentially what Acom does in the 2000A,
> although with tubes?

Solid state amps do not like high Q networks located very near the output
devices. Best to have a multi-section low-Q filter and then put the high-Q
stuff after that, and hopefully through some lossy transmission line to
limit the mistermination, or waste some power through intentional loss at
the output.

73 Tom