[Amps] Why hasn't solid state replaced tubes?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Why hasn't solid state replaced tubes?
From: af4mp at mindspring.com (Zyg Skrobanski)
Date: Thu Mar 6 17:12:18 2003
>It is probably due to filters in the transceiver. Not all the third order
>distortion is after the IF filter.
>Now show me the math that backs up your claim.

What claim?  I was looking at the IMD graphs that the ARRL publishes
whenever it tests a transmitter, and noticed that the IMD products, shown
on those graphs, were not symmetrically a mirror image around the center
frequency.  It was an observation not a claim.

I don't know what is causing this asymmetrical behavior, and it's
impossible for me to do the math on something I don't understand.;)
--
Zyg AF4MP
Roswell GA USA