[Amps] SB-1000 Transformer & Problem

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] SB-1000 Transformer & Problem
From: kb9cry at attbi.com (Phil - KB9CRY)
Date: Mon Mar 10 14:26:01 2003
I've got a question.  I acquired a SB-1000 that has a Heathkit
transformer with the part number of 54-1063.  The manual lists the part
number required as 54-1061.  Is there any difference?  Also, I've
measured two of the secondary circuits and I get 14.9 VAC rather than
the 10.5 listed on the schematic and 6.6 VAC rather than the listed
5.2.  When I apply power I immediately blow a fuse.  I've checked over
all wiring and everything things seems to be in order.  When I
disconnect one of the secondary leads to the filter/rectifier boards
(the voltage doubling caps & diodes) the fan turns and the tube
filaments light up but I notice that  the Power Output meter is pinned
to the max.  When the high voltage secondary is connected, I can see
some HV coming on line prior to the fuse blowing.  Is the transformer
not the correct one and putting out too much secondary voltage?  Are the
caps/diodes bad?  I've taken those apart and all are connected correctly
and nothing seems to be blown or bad. Any thoughts or leads.  Tnx in
advance, 73  Phil , KB9CRY