[Amps] AL-80B questions

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] AL-80B questions
From: w8ji at contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Mon Mar 10 14:22:38 2003

> >Rich:
> >       Send one of those suppressors and I will do a thorough
measurement.
> >Let's stop all the hand waving and get some real numbers.
>
> **  If Mr. Rauch agrees to send one of his suppressors, yes.  What
> instrument do you have access to for measuring impedance, admittance and
> parallel-equivalent resistance?  The measurements need to be made at
> 100MHz and 150MHz since that will cover both Henry's as well as
> Ameritron-MFJ's 3-500Z amplifiers.

I don't have suppressors. Unlike you, I am not in the business of retailing
anything and have no connection to any parts retailer.

I'm sure Eric could get a replacement suppressor from Ameritron, but what he
really needs is an entire amplifier to see what the change is in the SYSTEM
when the suppressor is installed. If I knew Eric I'd loan him an amplifier,
but I don't.

The oscillation frequency of a 3-500Z is generally NOT near 100-150Mhz,
unless the amp has fairly poor layout and grid / anode wiring. If you remove
all suppression from an AL80A or B and measure the resulting oscillation it
is near 200MHz.

73 Tom