[Amps] AL-80B questions

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] AL-80B questions
From: W4EF at dellroy.com (Michael Tope)
Date: Mon Mar 10 11:44:22 2003
Tom,

I haven't really analyzed this problem carefully, but I always find it
helpful to use extremes (as you have) to bracket the problem.
As you point out, if Rp is lowered to zero, then the Xp is shunted
completely and the suppressor does nothing. The other extreme,
very high Rp also leads to the same result as it suggests a
inductor with inductive reactance Xp in parallel with an infinite Rp
which is also a high Q case (in this case the VHF resonance will
be shifted due to the reactance Xp). So I am wondering if you don't
have to consider the ratio of Xp to Rp in order to determine the
efficacy of a suppressor. In other words, for a fixed Xp (equivalent
parallel inductive reactance of the suppressor), if I sweep Rp
from zero to infinite resistance, at what point do I achieve mininum
VHF tank Q? I would argue that both zero Rp and infinite Rp are
both high Q cases, so lowest Q lies somewhere in the middle.
So does it make sense to generalize one way or another without
also considering Xp?