[Amps] AL-80B questions

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] AL-80B questions
From: 2 at vc.net (rlm)
Date: Mon Mar 10 07:08:29 2003

>> >You claim lower Rp means less VHF gain. Lower Rp (plate load resistance)
>> >does NOT mean less VHF gain, because of shunting reactances.
>> >
>> **  what shunting reactances?  How can reactance effect R ?
>
>Anyone who has tuned a tuning control on a transmitter understands reactance
>can affect gain.

**  ? Say what ?

>> The brass strip is in parallel with the anode?
>
>We took everything to a parallel mode, which is the parallel equivalent
>impedance of a two-terminal device.

**  The brass strip is in series with the anode and the Tune C.  The low
(series) Z of the brass strip transforms into a high Rp.
A low series R has a high parallel R equivalent.  A high series R has a
low parallel R equivalent. [see Figure 18 on my Web site]

>Any system like this can be expressed in a series-equivalent impedance or a
>parallel-equvalent impedance.

**  Not a "system", each specific Z has an equivalent Y.   (see March,
1989 QST, page 7, 'Finding Impedance by Solving for Admittance')

>When we comnpare two systems, we must look at them the same way and use the
>same terms to avoid confusion.

**  in order to begin to understand how an amplifier works, one must
understand its parts.

>> **  Wes' table shows that the W8JI suppressor had c. 60% more Rp than the
>> other guy's suppressor.
>
>That's great news, because when the higher resistance suppressor is placed
>in series with the anode lead it has more de-Qing effect.

**  quite rightly, but the more R a VHF suppressor has, the hotter it
gets at 29mHz.  Thus a parasitic suppressor is a tradeoff.

>The lowest Rp suppressor would be a dead short,

**  The opposite is true.

>and the Measures nichrome
>suppressor is closest to a dead short.

**  only if Ni-Cr alloy is a VHF superconductor at room temperature.

>The irony of this is the nichrome suppressor Wes tested actually would have
>MORE Rp than the stock suppressors you sell!

**  Wes built the Ni-Cr suppressor from materials I sent him, so I don't
know much about it.  If someone on AMPS has access to an
impedance/admittance-analyzer that will go to 100MHz, and has the time to
do the measurements, I will build a 3-500Z suppressor according to our
instructions and submit it for testing.

>> >The lowest Rp suppressor would be a dead short, or no
>> >suppressor at all.
>>
>> **  Downtown Backwardsville.  A virtual dead short in series with the
>> anode would have a high parallel-equivalent resistance.  A high series R
>> means a low parallel-equivalent resistance, or Rp.  This subject is
>> covered in AC circuit analysis.
>
>You are mixing the models.

**  clueless

>The two-terminal device consisting of a resistor and inductor by itself had
>a low Rp. We are NOT placing the low Rp of the suppressor directly from the
>anode to ground, it is in SERIES with the long anode lead! It is the long
>anode lead impedance it must modify.
>

>> **  so what caused the gold to evaporate off of the 8877 grid in Fig. 24
>> on my Web site ?  Can you name another 8877 HF amp designer who does not
>> use a vhf parasitic suppressor?
>
>Gold migration is a common problem. It is explained on my web page in the
>vacuum tube failures section.

**  gold boils off at 2966?C/5370?F.  An 8877's grid weighs c. 50g.  What
is the temperature of the Sun's surface?

>It does NOT prove an oscillation. It is actually caused either by excessive
>grid current or by manufacturing defects in the tube.

**  NIH syndrome,

>This is especially noticable on 15 and ten
>meters, when the anode capacitance is a large portion of tank input
>capacitance.
>
>73 Tom

-  R. L. Measures, a.k.a. Rich..., 805.386.3734, AG6K,
www.vcnet.com/measures.
end