[Amps] AL-80B questions

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] AL-80B questions
From: 2 at vc.net (rlm)
Date: Mon Mar 10 13:41:57 2003

>Rich-
>
>Somethings I've always wondered about...
>
>determining the required inductive component of the 'suppressor' for a
>particular amp.

**  for optimum effectiveness, the suppressor inductor (L-sup) needs to
have roughly the same # of ohms of reactance (at the anode's vhf-resonant
frequency) as the ohms of the suppressor's resistor.  This arrangement
divides the vhf ringing-current semi-equally and optimizes the
stagger-tuning effect that broadbands (decreases the Q) of the vhf
resonance and proportionately decreases the damped-wave ringing potential
when anode current changes.

>the problem is positive feedback through coupling between the plate
>circuit and the
>grid circuit. right?

**  In a tetrode or pentode, right.  In a g-g triode, the problem is
coupling between the anode/plate output and the cathode input.

>In order to get enough feedback for an unwanted oscillation, we need a
>resonant circuit, right?

**  correct.  And there always is a VHF-resonant circuit in a HF
amplifier.  The lowest freq I've seen in a HF amp was 43MHz (4cx20,000A).
 the highest was 170MHz (8873).

>The inductive component of the suppressor changes the resonance,
>to a frequency where we can not get enough feedback to sustain oscillation,
right?

**  Shorted or not shorted, L-sup/R-sup barely shifts the anode circuit's
resonanant frequency.

>If so, this means the
>inductance does not have to be some specific value, so long as it's
>enough to move the
>resonant frequency enough.
>
>So what's the resistor for?

**  The resistance lowers Q which lowers peak ringing V, and it provides
a low-L path to establish the stagger-tuning effect.  Resistance in the
inductive path also lowers Q.

>Isn't this the same thing we do when we neutralize a tube with
>additional capacitance
>in the feedback loop?

**  no

>Why isn't this additional capacitance damped?
>Should it be?

**  The Bruene neutralization bridge needs to be tuned for minimum SWR at
the operating freq. - which cancels grid reactance.  When this is done,
the C-divider is then adjusted to null the feedthrough signal at the
anode.  Since a uniform 180? phase shift is needed over the entire
operating range in order to cancel feedback at the operating freq.,
adding R would seem be a hindrance.  [see Figure 5 on my Web site]

cheers, Bob

-  R. L. Measures, a.k.a. Rich..., 805.386.3734, AG6K,
www.vcnet.com/measures.
end