[Amps] LK500ZB advice

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] LK500ZB advice
From: dhall at jps.com (Doug Hall)
Date: Thu Mar 13 10:47:28 2003
Hi folks,
   I just found a very nice Amp Supply LK500ZB for sale. It has a pair of
new graphite 3-500Z tubes and an outboard case-mounted Peter Dahl
transformer. The original internal transformer is still good and still
inside, but disconnected. The external transformer is significantly larger.
FWB design, pretty good regulation, and it will make 1400 watts with 100w of
drive. It uses a split-chassis cooling system a-la-SB220 which seems quite
effective.

I want to replace my SB-220 with this amp for two reasons. First, it has
160m, and I'm tired of hearing stuff I can't work on that band. Second, I
chase DX on RTTY and operate in the occasional contest, and this amp seems
better suited for occasional RTTY use. So here's my question for those of
you who are familiar with the design of this amp. Given the tubes, cooling
system, tank circuit, and the fact that it has an outboard heavy-duty
transformer, how much power could I reasonably run on RTTY with it? The
owner says he thinks 800 watts or so would be OK in contest situations, and
more if I'm just playing in a pileup. What do you think?
73,
Doug, K4DSP

P.S. I'm open to other recommendations too, but I prefer glass tubes (cheap
and readily available).