[Amps] LK500ZB advice

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] LK500ZB advice
From: w8ji at contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Thu Mar 13 14:06:30 2003
> Hi folks,
>    I just found a very nice Amp Supply LK500ZB for sale. It has a pair of
> new graphite 3-500Z tubes and an outboard case-mounted Peter Dahl
> transformer. The original internal transformer is still good and still
> inside, but disconnected. The external transformer is significantly
larger.
> FWB design, pretty good regulation, and it will make 1400 watts with 100w
of
> drive. It uses a split-chassis cooling system a-la-SB220 which seems quite
> effective.

I'd be REALLY careful with an external power transformer!!!

You not only have the leads to worry about, you have the power transformer
case. Be absolutely positive the transformer case is securely grounded to
the amp chassis, and that the ground connection is failure safe and large.
Also be sure the mains neutral or safety ground is properly grounded to that
case.

I've seen far too many homebrew amp add-ons that are very unsafe because the
builders did not properly ground external transformer boxes, or even used
proper HV connectors. I'd hate to see anyone get killed or hurt because of
stupid mistake someone else did before selling the amp.

73 Tom