[Amps] reading 8-10kv with a digital multimeter?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] reading 8-10kv with a digital multimeter?
From: stevek at jmr.com (Steve Katz)
Date: Fri Mar 14 11:24:10 2003
You can't use an Ohmmeter to test high voltage rectifiers.  You can use a
Megger or Hipot tester, which provides substantial high voltage applied to
the rectifier to monitor the breakdown voltage (apply reverse DC voltage,
crank it up and see when the rectifier avalanches into reverse conduction).
With a microwave oven rectifier, this would normally be in the 6kV-10kV
range.  Unless you can apply that much bias, you have no idea if the
rectifier is good or not.

Usually, you can't even test to see if the diode junctions are intact using
only an Ohmmeter, because the Ohmmeters usually don't provide enough test
voltage to forward bias all those series junctions into conduction.
Assuming 0.6 to 1.0V per diode junction, and probably 10-15 junctions in
series per rectifier, it will take 6 to 15Vdc to make the junctions start
conducting in the forward direction.  My Ohmmeters only deliver about 3Vdc,
not enough.

But, the "forward conduction" test isn't very meaningful, anyway.  It just
shows there's a junction there, but not whether it's leaky or damaged.

WB2WIK/6

"Success is the ability to go from failure to failure with no loss of
enthusiasm." -Winston Churchill