[Amps] pi-net tanks

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] pi-net tanks
From: 2 at vc.net (rlm)
Date: Sat Mar 15 08:58:25 2003

> I am working on a well known amp (tunes 160-10mtrs) and the 80 mtr. portion
>of the coil (160 and 80 are a separate coil) was apparently overheated and
>"bent" a bit , altho it doesn't appear to be damaged. My question is why has
>this happened.? My guess is that maybe the amp was "overdriven" or
>"underloaded", and thus had too much circulating current.!!!
>Can anyone shed
>some light on this problem ??

**  Overdriving could be a possibility only if the tube was capable of
substantially more emission than was needed to produce normal RF output.
For example, If a 3CX3000A7 were used in a 1500w amplifier, only about
1/4 of the available emission would be used.  Thus, if such an amplifier
was driven to the tube's emissive limit, there would be c. 4x the RF
circulating current in the tank - so the I^2 x R heating loss in the tank
L would be c. 16x as great as normal.
-  Since this scenario seems quite unlikely for economic reasons, perhaps
the amplifier was designed by someone who does not realize fully how much
 skin-effect progressively reduces the RF current carrying capacity of
conductors.  For example, at 60Hz, #12 Cu exhibits barely perceptable
heating at 20A.  However, at 30MHz, 5A in #12 Cu produces noticable
heating.  Thus, tank conductors need to be forced-air cooled.  My guess
is that the amplifier you are working on has no forced  air flowing
through the tank.    Who manufactured the amplifier you are working on,
Carl ?
-  The Heath SB-220 is laughed at by some because of its low-tech fan,
but Heath's engineers did the right thing by using a portion of the fan's
exhaust to cool the 3-500Zs' (critical) filament pins and the tank L.
However, was it serendippity or good engineering practice by someone who
had taken a course in AC circuit-analysis?