[Amps] pi-net tanks

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] pi-net tanks
From: 2 at vc.net (rlm)
Date: Sat Mar 15 11:34:46 2003

>> **  Overdriving could be a possibility only if the tube was capable of
>> substantially more emission than was needed to produce normal RF output.
>> For example, If a 3CX3000A7 were used in a 1500w amplifier, only about
>> 1/4 of the available emission would be used.  Thus, if such an amplifier
>> was driven to the tube's emissive limit, there would be c. 4x the RF
>> circulating current in the tank - so the I^2 x R heating loss in the tank
>> L would be c. 16x as great as normal.
>
>Circulating currents are a function of loaded or operating Q as well as VAR
>power (or current or voltage if you like and impedances). Even relatively
>small tubes can overheat big wires when operating Q is high.

**  True, Tom. but operating Q is designed in.

>Not only that, there are other issues such as closed-loop currents in the
>tank from transformer action when a portion of a winding with high multual
>coupling is shorted.

**  Again true, but such was apparently not the case.

>Short two turns in the middle of a tank coil that lives happily, and watch
>it overheat around those turns.

**  was such reported by Carl?

>Certainly it doesn't take any great ability to understand heat was
>excessive, but there are many possible reasons why the coil deformed. Not
>just one.

**  No forced air cooling on the tank-L would cause heat buildup -
especially in RTTY mode.

-  R. L. Measures, a.k.a. Rich..., 805.386.3734, AG6K,
www.vcnet.com/measures.
end