[Amps] Hard-drive Dive

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Hard-drive Dive
From: G3SEK at ifwtech.co.uk (Ian White, G3SEK)
Date: Sun Mar 23 10:00:33 2003
Bill Coleman  N2BC wrote:

>The 30S-1 L101 is a silver plated inductor.

No nichrome there, then...

>I believe it is used to lower
>the effective plate load resistance to allow a reasonable tank Q at higher
>frequencies.  I did this with a 5CX1500 RF generator (13.56mHz) which I
>converted to the ham bands, worked out very well.

In effect, this taps C1 of the pi tank part-way along the inductor, so
that Cmin doesn't add so much to the total input capacitance. On the
other hand, it makes the design calculations more complicated.

>Used your NETCALC
>program a LOT - made things easy!

Now that we have computers, this approach probably deserves more
attention.

NETCALC is a BASIC program that I wrote about 20 years ago as a 'pocket
calculator' for complex impedances. It automates operations like
series/parallel transformations, and adding series or parallel
impedances, reducing them to single-keystroke operations.

The DOS user interface is so last century, but it does the job. One of
these years, I'll rewrite it for Windows...

>My implementation is here: http://home.stny.rr.com/n2bc/PT_Project.htm    a
>page I put together for our club members.

Very nice!

>THX for NETCALC!

I still use NETCALC for small jobs, but for tank design and analysis I
now tend to use a spreadsheet. Both are on the web site.

--
73 from Ian G3SEK         'In Practice' columnist for RadCom (RSGB)
                            Editor, 'The VHF/UHF DX Book'