[Amps] G-G Amplifiers With No Tuned Input.

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] G-G Amplifiers With No Tuned Input.
From: 2 at vc.net (2)
Date: Tue May 6 09:56:57 2003

>The problem with a grounded grid or any RF amplifier that has a non-linear
>input impedance ie non-resistive is that the exciter is not loaded with the
>same impedance during the entire RF cycle. This introduces harmonic
>generation (which is not a serious problem because it will be filtered out
>later anyway) and intermodulation distortion. If the  instantaneous V-I
>curve of this impedance instead of being a straight line (resistive) can be
>described by a polynomial  and that polynomial contains odd order
>components ,it will produce odd harmonics and IMD.
>
>A low pass filter has no energy storage. The idea is that a band pass
>filter with a capacitor on the output of it connected across
>the  non-linear cathode circuit (or grid in some cases).  The capacitor in
>conjunction with the inductor make an AC energy storage system. The amount
>of energy stored in the system is related to the Q.  A low pass filter has
>a Q of  less than 1 (actually it is Q= center frequency/
>bandwidth=1/2).  The reason for the capacitor being the at the output is
>because it is a short term constant voltage  device. It and the inductance,
>tries to maintain a constant sinusoidal AC voltage between the cathode and
>ground during several RF cycles.  If the capacitive reactance is 1/3 of the
>cathode's minimum  instantaneous  impedance it maintains a very  good
>sinusoidal wave form for a single RF cycle (what is needed) and does fairly
>good for 3 cycles. This is why high Q is not necessary.

**  True for very good, however,  good enough for typical
transceivers/exciters is an input capacitive reactance roughly equal to
the cathode's minimum instantaneous ohms during the negative peak in the
driving cycle -- which translates to a Q of 2 - 3.

>The  exciter  sees
>a constant impedance over each RF cycle also.
>If the output component of the filter connected to the cathode is an
>inductor (Inductor output L or T or Pi-L) it will try to maintain a
>constant sinusoidal RF current thru the RF cycle. This will make the IMD
>even worse.
>
>Well, there is my simple explanation.

Excellent discourse, Bill.  Tnx

-  R. L. Measures, a.k.a. Rich..., 805.386.3734, AG6K,
www.vcnet.com/measures.
end