[Amps] G-G Amplifiers With No Tuned Input.

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] G-G Amplifiers With No Tuned Input.
From: wlfuqu00 at uky.edu (Bill Fuqua)
Date: Tue May 6 09:57:28 2003
Well, lets see.... If you have a  filter with a center frequency of 1 MHz
and a Q of .5 then the cut off frequency would be 2 MHz and lowest
frequency would be Zero by the definition of Q= Center Frequency/ Bandwidth.

The Idea is to have sufficient circulating current thru the output
capacitor to maintain as close as possible a sinusoidal wave form voltage
during an entire cycle at the cathode. How close it is to a sinusoid
depends on the Q. It just depends on if you are matching or trying to
eliminate the third order component of the polynomial to a high degree. I'd
guess if you completely eliminated the third harmonic you would eliminate
the IMD as well since they are created by the same nonlinear characteristic
of the VI curve.
    In doing your model place a diode at the output of your filter. Submit
2 tones at the input and do a Fourier transform of the output to see what
IMD and Harmonic products are produced.

     To some degree a low pass filter should reduce the IMD somewhat due to
the fact that harmonics  reflected back to the  exciter. In that case the
exciter are reduced in amplitude  and it does not see a nonlinear load
during each RF cycle, but that does not necessarily mean that the voltage
waveform at the cathode is sinusoidal.

73
Bill wa4lav