[Amps] Can I run 4-400's in TL922

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Can I run 4-400's in TL922
From: 2 at vc.net (2)
Date: Thu Jun 5 08:51:07 2003
>Am I able to use 4-400 tubes in my TL922 amp...I have just been given 10
>of these tubes NIB and was wondering what I had to do to run these in
>place of the 3-500's if the need arose where I had to change them out...

** The problem is that 3-500Zs don't idle the same as 4-400As, so a few
manoeuvres are in order.   The battle plan:
1.  Short the bias zener.
2.  Increase the anode PS potential by c. 500v in order raise the ZSAC to
the needed 75mA/tube  in order to achieve SSB linearity.  To do this, add
a 200Vrms or so 1A tranformer secondary winding, in-phase, in series with
the stock HV winding.  [Peter Dahl can make the boost xfmr]
3.  Add a 10-ohm, 3w resistor between pin2 (g1) and pin 3 (g2) of each
tube socket in order to automatically provide the triode connection for
tetrodes.

Since peak emission is the same, P-out with either 3-500s or 4-400s
should be similar.  --  note - If I lived in a 50Hz region, I would
replace the stock AC-type fan with a 12Vdc brushless fan operated by a
FWB/C-filter powered from the 11Vac, 15a filament winding.