Re: [Amps] L-7 Failure, HV fuses

To: "Pat Barthelow" <aa6eg@hotmail.com>, <K1LE@ARRL.NET>," AMPS" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] L-7 Failure, HV fuses
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 18:31:02 -0800

>Re HV fuses:
>
>I have seen in the literature descriptions of a HV fuse made by inserting
>into the B+ line,   a 30 guage Cu wire approx 2" long.  suspended between
>two ceramic standoffs in the amp.  Would that function as a near
>instantaneous HV fuse. protecting the tube in the event of a heavy current
>HV fault?

**   2" of #30 Cu has about 0.017-ohms of R.   Since the ESR of
high-ripple I 450V electrolytics is c. 0.25-ohms each, in a typical
3200VDC anode supply, the peak discharge I would be 3200V / [(8 x
0.25-ohms) + 0.017-ohms] = c. 1600A-peak.  IMO, this does not provide
adequate protection.  As I see it, HV fusing is not needed if the primary
of the HV transformer is fused or circuit-breakered.  What is needed is a
device to limit peak discharge-I -- i.e., a sturdy-enough glitch-R;
typical values of which are 10 to 30 ohms.

cheers,  Pat