Re: [Amps] L-7 Failure, HV fuses

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] L-7 Failure, HV fuses
From: "Jeffrey Madore" <K1LE@ARRL.NET>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 01:06:23 -0500
Circuit breakers and fuses come in various types with various
characteristics. For example, the average molded  case residential circuit
breaker may take c. 30 to 50 seconds to trip, at 300% rated current. Higher
currents cause quicker tripping, and a point is reached where there is
instantaneous tripping. This point is usually tested at 10x the rated
current. Some breakers don't trip at all...right out of the box.

Fuses can provide much faster protection. Current limiting fuses open and
clear in less than 1/2 cycle but are usually quite expensive. I've applied
both across a short circuit and it is amazing how quickly the current
limiting fuse clears the fault, with obviously less disturbance to the
circuit.

It is worth looking into the parameters of fuses. Though current limiting
fuses are expensive, I recall lower priced fuses that provide a degree of
current limiting.

Though I'm far from a protection expert, I have made a lot of intentional
"big bangs" and observed the results.

Jeff - K1LE - CT ><>