Re: [Amps] Benefits of 3-phase power?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Benefits of 3-phase power?
From: Bill Turner <wrt@dslextreme.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 08:43:26 -0800
On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 18:46:50 -0800, "Bert Almemo"
<balmemo@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>Some basic facts about 3 phase....  Most of the electric power in the world
>is 3 phase.  The concept was originally conceived by Nikola Tesla and was
>proven that 3 phase was far superior to single phase power.

Nearly all of the cross-country transmission lines in the US are three
phase.  Only when it gets down to the neighborhood level do they go to
single phase.

As to three phase being "far superior" I'm not so sure, at least for
home use at low to moderate power levels.  I've never been to Europe
so I lack first hand information, but all the various power plugs I've
seen for European home use (and there are LOTS of variations) were all
single phase.  So how do they use three phase in houses in Europe?

--
Bill, W6WRT