Re: [Amps] RE: 3-500Z plate durability...

To: <KD7EFQ@aol.com>, " AMPS" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] RE: 3-500Z plate durability...
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 07:47:43 -0800

>Hello all, This is a very interesting topic. It seems to me several American
>amplifier manufacturers are as bad as "used car salesmen" when they tout
>their 3-500Z amp design.
>
>One claims that their's is better because they use a bigger transformer to
>get legal limit out of a pair of 3-500Z's. Another claims that their
>3-500Z is
>better quality, as they they don't drive their 3-500Z's beyond factory rated
>"continuous" ratings, although it doesn't quite do the legal limit, and it
>generates less noise and heat due to the reduced cooling needed for their
>design.
>As it takes about a 4X power change to get an increase of 1 "S" unit, I
>really dont think the difference between 1300 and 1500 watts means anything.

**  You're right, Todd.  When I was a young whippersnapper, John
MacDonald, W6SDM, told me that for SSB, it takes c. 10db (1.67 S-units)
to make a clearly noticable improvement.  Thus, if one runs a pair of
3-500Zs, and one wants to deliver a clearly better S/N ratio at the RX
end, one needs a tube with handles.

>Kind of like, " My dad can beat up your dad" reasoning, Hi Hi.

**  Or - my dad's SUV has a 450-horsepower engine (Porche) and you dad's
like totally stupid pickemup truck has a wus 350-horsepower engine.

have phun, Todd