[Amps] Alpha 87A troubles with fault 17

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Alpha 87A troubles with fault 17
From: "Andy Forsberg" <CS-Imaging@prodigy.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 06:48:49 -0800
Hi All,

I have a TS 950 and TS 2000 driving a New Alpha 87A. I am continually
getting fault code 17 in SSB while talking which puts the amp into standby
mode. The amp is tuned properly either using default, manual, or AlphaMax.
Nothing seems to help.  Alpha factory will not return my e-mails so I have
know idea how to get these radios to drive the Alpha.  When I took the amp
out of the box at turn on I got a hard fault 24 and the amp would not come
on line. After two power ups I finally got a green board. The first time I
applied 20 watts drive power it faulted. That cleared I was finally able to
get the amp to full power and sic.... operational. The fault code 17
(extreme miss-match) started right away and have not stopped. I can not get
through a transmission without a fault 17 occurring.

I understand that Icomm 781's had this problem also? Are these ALC
overshoots? Can they be prevented? Is this a problem with Alpha or Kenwood?
Either way the amp is useless as long as it keeps faulting.

Thanks for any help the group can offer,

73 Andy WW7A

Latitude  N  47.35 degs
Longitude W 122.95 degs