[Amps] Glass Power Tube rebuilders

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Glass Power Tube rebuilders
From: "John T. M. Lyles" <jtml@lanl.gov>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 12:13:50 -0600
The problem that I have experienced with rebuilders is that they haven't been able to get the glass in sizes that used to be common, i.e., a blank in the size of a 3-1000Z diameter, from Germany (Shott?).
So they have attempted in some cases to re-seal a cut tube, using standard glass tooling/lathes, etc. The yield can be awful. I had a lopsided Machlett MIL LPT-44 triode made. Another one woudn't seal.

As Rich said, Ceramic Metal technology is rebuildable if there is a demand. There are some tubes such as the RCA Cermalox designs, which no one wants to touch in the rebuilding biz. Companies like CPI/Eimac will rebuild their own larger tubes, again, depending on the market demand.

Suggest taking a look online and type in Google: "Tube Rebuilder" or "Power Tube Rebuilder" for further info.

73
John
K5PRO