RE: [Amps] Glass Power Tube rebuilders

To: "John T. M. Lyles" <jtml@lanl.gov>, amps@contesting.com
Subject: RE: [Amps] Glass Power Tube rebuilders
From: "Skram, Helge (MED)" <helge.skram@med.ge.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 13:31:12 +0200

-----Original Message-----
From: amps-bounces@contesting.com [mailto:amps-bounces@contesting.com]On
Behalf Of John T. M. Lyles
Sent: 4. juni 2004 20:14
To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Glass Power Tube rebuilders

The problem that I have experienced with rebuilders is that they
haven't been able to get the glass in sizes that used to be common,
i.e., a blank in the size of a 3-1000Z diameter, from Germany
(Shott?).
So they have attempted in some cases to re-seal a cut tube, using
standard glass tooling/lathes, etc. The yield can be awful. I had a
lopsided Machlett MIL LPT-44 triode made. Another one woudn't seal.

As Rich said, Ceramic Metal technology is rebuildable if there is a
demand. There are some tubes such as the RCA Cermalox designs, which
no one wants to touch in the rebuilding biz. Companies like CPI/Eimac
will rebuild their own larger tubes, again, depending on the market
demand.

>>What is the problem with the RCA Cermalox designs ?
>>I found that Freeland Products Inc rebuilds Cermalox tubes:
http://www.freeland-inc.com/Freeland%20Products%20Rebuilt%20Cermolox%20Type%
20Tubes.htm

73 de LA6MV
Helge

Suggest taking a look online and type in Google: "Tube Rebuilder" or
"Power Tube Rebuilder" for further info.

73
John
K5PRO