Re: [Amps] Glass Power Tube rebuilders

To: "R.Measures" <r@somis.org>,"Ian White, G3SEK" <g3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Glass Power Tube rebuilders
From: "K7RDX" <k7rdx@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2004 07:10:34 -0700
From: "R.Measures" <r@somis.org>
To: "Ian White, G3SEK" <g3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>
Cc: <amps@contesting.com>
Sent: Saturday, June 05, 2004 3:46 PM

On Jun 5, 2004, at 1:27 AM, Ian White, G3SEK wrote:

> John T. M. Lyles wrote:
>
>> The problem that I have experienced with rebuilders is that they
>> haven't been able to get the glass in sizes that used to be common,
>> i.e., a blank in the size of a 3-1000Z diameter, from Germany
>> (Shott?).
>> So they have attempted in some cases to re-seal a cut tube, using
>> standard glass tooling/lathes, etc. The yield can be awful. I had a
>> lopsided Machlett MIL LPT-44 triode made. Another one woudn't seal.
>>

> The basic problem is that cutting the tube apart destroys the very
> precise alignment between the anode and the grid/cathode cage.

  To restore the emission of thoriated tungsten filament,  glass
envelope tube, the vacuum pump connecting tube is opened, acetylene gas
is introduced, the filament is lit, and tungsten di carbide slowly
reforms on the surface of the filament.  When a sufficient layer has
been formed, a vacuum pump is connected, the vacuum is restored, and
the pumping tube is melted closed.  Thus, there is no need to cut the
tube apart.

cheers