Re: [Amps] Need Diagnostic help

To: Thomas Hix <w4th@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Need Diagnostic help
From: Ed Briggs <edbriggs@optonline.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 07:04:47 -0400
At the risk of stating the obvious, if the 240 VAC circuit is defective and
possibly arcing, this is a fire hazard and you'd probably be best off not
doing further diagnostic work until an electrician has checked the wiring.
Typically, the wiring at the socket will show charing, although the problem
could be elsewhere. Hopefully, that will fix your problem and you won't have
to ship hardware all over the place.

If he finds nothing, have him put the voltmeter across the power line at
while you duplicate the problem (if that's possible).  If the line is
defective, the voltage will fluctuate wildly.

Incidentally, I had a similar problem that was impossible to find for months
and it turned out to be - of all things- the tube. Nobody can explain why,
but that fixed the problem.  I mention this just in case you are swapping
the tubes between the two amps (I don't know if they use the same tubes).

Good luck

Ed N1TS