[Amps] Case isolation of oiled-paper capacitors

To: AMPS@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Case isolation of oiled-paper capacitors
From: Angel Vilaseca <avilaseca@bluewin.ch>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 10:51:00 +0200
First of all I would like to thank the group for the many answers I got
to my question about lowest possible capacitance in a HV PS. Now this
is
what I call valuable advice. Thank you all for your help!

The oiled-paper capacitors I have were bought in a hamfest. I tried to
obtain information about them on the Internet, but I did not find
anything. Obsolete models...
Both are made in Germany. The cases are cylinder-shaped, both the same
size. They look like a big food tin can.
One (40 uF, 2500 V) is made by ITT-SEL and has one terminal connected
the case the other terminal is on top. The case is made of tinned
metal.
The other capacitor (25 uF, 4000 V )is made by Siemens and has two
isolated terminals on top of the can, with case painted.

Following the group advice, I will use the second one.

My concern is about isolation of the case. Can I expect 4000 V
isolation
from any of the two terminals to the case, so I can connect the case to
ground? Incidentally, there is no tab to connect the case to the
ground.
Should it be left floating, isolated from ground?

I feel a bit uncomfortable with this big metal thing in the middle of
the power supply at an undefined voltage somewhere between ground and +
4000 V.

Any ideas? Does someone have some data about these kinds of oiled-paper
caps?

Vy 73 de

Angel Vilaseca HB9SLV