Re: [Amps] ARRL Amplifier book

To: Will Matney <craxd1@ezwv.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] ARRL Amplifier book
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2004 17:40:31 -0700

On Sep 5, 2004, at 4:04 PM, Will Matney wrote:

Vic, Richard, and others,
You don't reckon it could be that publishing such info anymore would be cutting the throats of the manufacturers who advertises with QST, etc? Hmmmmmmm, just a thought. I once heard a story about QST and ARRL refusing to publish good technical info from fear of the amp manufacturers not wanting it published.

- Will --- which was probably after the article "The Nearly Perfect Amplifier" (by yours truly) was published in the January, 1994 issue of QST. Up until the publication of that article, I had heard rumors that the League was probably somewhat in the water bed with QST advertisers, but I did not realize to what extent. A couple of months after the article came out, the contract that I had signed with the League to write the amplifier chapter for the new Handbook had been quietly tossed in the roundfile by the League, and the amplifier chapter was being written and copy-edited by two Hams who work in amplifier manufacturing businesses, both of which advertise in QST. The good news out of all of this is that the manuscript I wrote for the Handbook is now available free on the Internet. And why not if Amateur Radio is really amateur?
- Epilogue -- The only magazine I subscribe to is "Consumer Reports" -- which has no commercial advertising, thank you.
cheerz

I shouldn't of said that, nope. If that's all they have in the book, I don't want it.

Will Matney

RICHARD GEORGE wrote:

ARRL AMPLIFIER BOOK: Just received mine. A little disappointed, but
should have known. It of course is all reprints of articles from QST
and QEX. The thing that surprised me is that most of it (or a good
part of it) is low power SS stuff. It has only one QRO HF amp in the
whole book. About 240 pages, very little tech stuff.

I suspect that they are afraid of litigation...if they publish a design for a QRO amplifier that uses more than 12 volts and someone builds it and gets killed, they could be a target for a dumba** lawsuit.

Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco

Richard L. Measures, AG6K, 805.386.3734. www.somis.org