Re: [AMPS] floating a filament transformer

To: <jsb@digistar.com>, "R.Measures" <r@somis.org>
Subject: Re: [AMPS] floating a filament transformer
From: "Phil Clements" <philk5pc@tyler.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 10:55:08 -0500
I have been reading with interest about the filament chokes for 3-500Z,
etc. In the photos I've seen of projects the filament choke appears to be
bare wires around the ferrite rod. Am I seeing this correctly? How does
this not short out and thereby not provide current to heat the filaments?
Or is this wire typically coated with some kind of insulating material.

The wire is insulated with an enamel coating.

There is nothing magic about the ferrite rod. A torroid will also work fine.
Henry uses torroids on some of its models where space under the chassis is at a premium.

(((73)))
Phil, K5PC