Re: [AMPS] floating a filament transformer

To: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [AMPS] floating a filament transformer
From: craxd <craxd1@ezwv.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 12:25:15 -0400
Jason,
Those ferrite rods increase the inductance so a few number of turns can be used to create a choke to block the RF out of the heater supply. A toroid with similar properties can be used here to. The wire you seen is merely magnet wire with a varnish insulation. Some have used regular insulated wire also, it just has to be insulated so it don't short out. Most rods are about 5-6 inches long with about 4 inches of winding on them. The wires (about 14-10 gage) are wound bi-filar where one wire is laid beside the other around the coil. If I recall, these were published in the ARRL Handbook at one time with a how-to included. The ferrite is about a #43 material or an iron powder could be used which type is by color code. In either case, it will operate within 1-30 MHz. As long as there's enough inductive reactance to block the RF, and the wire is big enough for the heater current, you got it licked.

Will Matney

I have been reading with interest about the filament chokes for 3-500Z, etc. In the photos I've seen of projects the filament choke appears to be bare wires around the ferrite rod. Am I seeing this correctly? How does this not short out and thereby not provide current to heat the filaments? Or is this wire typically coated with some kind of insulating material.

73 jason N1SU