Re: [Amps] input matching question on the YC156?

To: "Harold B. Mandel" <ka1xo@juno.com>,"amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] input matching question on the YC156?
From: craxd <craxd1@ezwv.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 13:58:58 -0400
Hal,
The plate and a screen voltage if needed was killed the same time as the antenna relay opened. It was then applied as the antenna relay closed. Now this was using a smaller tube type (4CX250B) than a 3CPX5000. But if you have the switching relays in parallel, etc and their switching time is the same, it will work, or has in what I've done. You could also have the antenna relay switch in and out another relay to apply the B+ and any screen if needed. There's been some home brew amps wired up this way in the past, but not as many as leaving the B+ on the anode all the time. It's better to kill off the B- lead than to switch the positive lead in and out for the plate voltage due to arcing. Another way would be kill the cathodes connection to ground on idle. Keep in mind that even though I done this successfully with 4CX250B's doesn't mean it would work with your tube as well. The only real reason for doing this is to assure that if the control bias fails, there's not a run-away condition.

Will Matney

Harold B. Mandel wrote:

Gentlemen,

In reading the posts below do I detect a tendency to use a HV relay
to switch the HV on and off every time the amplifier is keyed?

Using the 3CPX5000 scenario posted before, would then the
sequence (abridged) be:

1. Apply HV-  (B- as Will espouses, below).
2. Apply Bias.
3. Trigger antenna relays.
4. Apply drive voltage.

5. Remove Dive voltage.
6. Remove Bias.
7. Remove HV-
8. Unpick antenna relays.

This sounds like a switching sequence nightmare! If I'm running 4KV at 2 amperes on the plates, I need to run serious vacuum relays (and I do, I do!), but they
are huge and slow. I could see all this in a setup that had long turn-around Tx/Rx, like RTTY bulletin stations,
but what happens to PSK31, AMTOR and contesting
operators when they want to "get up and go?"

Hal Mandel
W4HBM

Is this true even when the tube is biased into cutoff? I've owned
four commercially-made amps and all of them apply HV as soon as the
power switch is turned on, but all four have the tube biased into
cutoff. Are you saying that is a design error?

- Bill

In any amps I've made, I did kill the B- lead for the HV until the antenna relay pulled in even though it was biased to cutoff on idle. The reason being is that if the bias ever failed while the amp was at idle, you'd have a run-away situation that would happen fast. -Will

http://www.nod32.com