Re: [Amps] input matching question on the YC156?

To: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] input matching question on the YC156?
From: craxd <craxd1@ezwv.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 12:32:12 -0400
Bill,
In any amps I've made, I did kill the B- lead for the HV until the antenna relay pulled in even though it was biased to cutoff on idle. The reason being is that if the bias ever failed while the amp was at idle, you'd have a run-away situation that would happen fast. On tetrode amps, the screen has to be killed with the B+ plate. This is an extra I always did but the cost keeps the manufacturers from adding it. This will also kill an amp that might be prone to self oscillation on idle. I'm not saying that what they do is a design flaw but I'd like to see all of them include it.

Will Matney

Is this true even when the tube is biased into cutoff? I've owned four commercially-made amps and all of them apply HV as soon as the power switch is turned on, but all four have the tube biased into cutoff. Are you saying that is a design error?

--
Bill W6WRT