Re: [Amps] Equalising resistors with HV diodes

To: peter.chadwick@Zarlink.Com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Equalising resistors with HV diodes
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 04:45:43 -0700

On Sep 21, 2004, at 1:11 AM, peter.chadwick@Zarlink.Com wrote:

Traian makes a very good point. Some 35 years ago now, I was at a company
doing MF SSB maritime transceivers. The Buyer was instructed to buy the
cheapest transistors, and bought from Microelectronics in Hong Kong. First
problem was low drive - the 2N3866's were below JEDEC spec on DC Beta, and
we didn't bother trying to measure Ft. The reliability of the BC108's was
terrible - they didn't meet the published specification on Vcbo.

And of course, it was all the fault of Engineering!!!!

Somehow, this sounds a bit reminiscent of the horror stories of the early
3-500Zs from the far east.....

The best one I've heard is way back when the Chinese were using glass with a high D-factor flux, when the 3-500Z would oscillate at c. 100MHz, the glass around the anode stem would soften and a glass bubble would form on the vacuum side of the envelope. Sometimes the glass bubble would pop.

Richard L. Measures, AG6K, 805.386.3734. www.somis.org