Re: [Amps] 5 kw amps -- why?

To: "Rob Atkinson, K5UJ" <k5uj@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 5 kw amps -- why?
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 05:49:46 -0700

On Oct 19, 2004, at 10:12 AM, Rob Atkinson, K5UJ wrote:

After reading a review in Eham today for the Emtron DX4 (2 4cx2500s) by an American ham, I have a question: Is there any kind of operating at the 1.5 kw pep limit that would necessitate an amp with this kind of plate dissipation? Sounded to me like an invitation to have the FCC park a van in front of your house.

Rob - For a couple of years, I ran an 8170 at 8kV whenever I was being jammed in the 40m "Combat Zone". When the curious saw their S-meters increase 20db, they would ask me what I was running. I would tell them. Some of those who did not know me said I was lying because no Ham would ever admit to running such a tube. Letters were written to the FCC. However, the FCC never came here. The laugher is that my SB-220 was only 8db below the 8170, so it was really no big deal.
- As I see it, the bottom-line is that the FCC does not come to one's house unless one is acting like a louse.

Richard L. Measures, AG6K, 805.386.3734. www.somis.org