Re: [Amps] 5 kw amps -- why?

Subject: Re: [Amps] 5 kw amps -- why?
From: jsb@digistar.com
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 14:38:58 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 19 Oct 2004, Rob Atkinson, K5UJ wrote:

> After reading a review in Eham today for the Emtron DX4 (2 4cx2500s) by
> an American ham, I have a question:  Is there any kind of operating at
> the 1.5 kw pep limit that would necessitate an amp with this kind of
> plate dissipation?

Would be nice to have an amp that would provide legal limit output with
minimal input and minimal distortion products.

> Sounded to me like an invitation to have the FCC park a van in front of
> your house.

The FCC has given up on ham radio in the same fashion they gave up on CB
radio.  FMRS is adequate in their minds for all forms of non-commercial
communication.  The only reason an FCC van will park in front of your
house is to assist your local electric company with their BPL
installation.

Run all the power you can afford.

73 Jason N1SU