Re: [Amps] SB-220

To: Will Matney <craxd1@ezwv.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] SB-220
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 13:12:29 -0800

On Nov 3, 2004, at 10:23 AM, Will Matney wrote:

To all,

A quick question here, and may open up a big can of worms, if there is no such things as parasitics in amplifiers, why do they all come with parasitic suppressors on the anode leads?

For the same reason that some people knock on wood or toss salt over their shoulders? Seriously, a VHF suppressor reduces the VHF gain of the tube by decreasing the parallel-equivalent R presented to the tube at the anode circuit's (unavoidable) VHF resonance freq. The mechanism that allows a parasitic oscillation in a pair of 3-500Zs is the 0.3pF of C between the anodes and the cathodes. 0.3pF seems pretty trivial until one discovers that it amounts to a feedback path of c. -j5000-ohms between the output and the input.

Now if I recall, a certain somebody used to work for Ameritron I do think. So, don't Ameritron amps all have parasitic suppressors on all their anode leads?

All except the AL-1500, which apparently holds the U. S.-record for gold-sputtering 8877s,

If I recall, and I'm not sure how far back, parasitic suppression has been used in amps for 60+ years that I know of (1940's). ...

The first mention of what was essentially a low VHF-Q parasitic oscillation suppressor was in the 1926-edition of "The Radio Amateur's Handbook", page 72:

“The combination of both resistance and inductance (i. e., resistance-wire) is very effective in limiting parasitic oscillations to a negligible value of current.” -- F. E. Handy, W1BDI
------- researcher: Dave Newkirk, WJ1Z.

Richard L. Measures, AG6K, 805.386.3734. www.somis.org