Re: [Amps] A Meeting Ground

To: StephenTetorka@cs.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] A Meeting Ground
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 11:25:02 -0800

On Nov 4, 2004, at 9:25 AM, StephenTetorka@cs.com wrote:

Hi All:

This radiant discussion on parasitics invites me to ask a question: "where does all the 'mish-mash' go to when a chassis ground is employed?"

Steve -- In most g-g amplifiers, the grid-I meter shunt R is the only DC current path from the –HV to chassis gnd. Thus, when a +HV flashover to gnd occurs, the potential across the grid-I meter shunt R spikes to several kV negative unless there are glitch diodes across it. In a SB-220, R3 (0.82-ohm, 2w) is the grid-I meter shunt R. When a
SB-220 has a parasitic oscillation there are two currents that can damage R3: 1. since there is an unloaded condition during a VHF oscillation, there is a maximal-burst of grid current. 2. the parasite-related arc that makes the big-bang is from the +HV to gnd, so the 25uF HV filter C discharges c. 100J (a.k.a. 100 watt-seconds) through R3 - which typically blows it apart.

Richard L. Measures, AG6K, 805.386.3734. www.somis.org