Re: [Amps] Advice on instruments for ham use

To: Amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Advice on instruments for ham use
From: G3rzp@aol.com
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 06:17:16 EST
In our Swedish lab, we have one of these super duper digital scopes  from le
Croix (sp?) that can look at 2.5GHz sine waves. It still can get  confused by
90% modulated RF signals.

Mind you, if you're just looking at digital happenings, it really is  superb.
Even for analogue, it's OK most of the time, but there are occasions  where
you need some knowledge of what you're looking at to sort out what it  tells
you.

For home use at HF RF, therfore, I'm inclined to stick to an analogue  scope.
As that's almost certainly an older model, I'd also suggest investment in
the service manual now, not when you need it, and an examination for parts made

of unobtainium - older or special ICs, maybe a tube. It's quite frightening
that  a new piece of equipment bought today can be unrepairable in 5 years
time,  because of a lack of spares. At the same time, it's not that difficult
keep a  1936 HRO going, despite the fact that tubes for it haven't been made
for  40years! There must be moral there somewhere.

73

Peter G3RZP