Re: [Amps] Advice on instruments for ham use

To: Amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Advice on instruments for ham use
From: Dennis12Amplify@aol.com
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 03:32:12 EST
In a message dated 11/24/04 7:04:19 PM Central Standard Time,
n8de@thepoint.net writes:
I have an old RCA scope .. free for the hauling.  It goes in the
dumpster in two weeks if nobody wants it.
Don
N8DE
Connersville, IN [soon to be Edmore, MI]

 Those old 'boatanchor' scopes make excellent AM modulation envelope monitors.

 I bolt a pair of SO-239's onto the back of the case right next to each other
and connect their center pins with a short piece of wire. Then I couple the
RF on that wire to one of the vertical deflection plates with a very small
value of capacitor (but one with a high voltage rating), in the range of 1 to
10
pfd., then I set the scope to auto sweep at a relatively slow (audio) rate and
watch my modulation envelope. If you really want to get fancy, you can add a
simple diode/cap envelope detector and feed that to the trigger circuit for
autosync...

Regards,

Dennis O.