Re: Re: [Amps] Advice on instruments for ham use

To: G3rzp@aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: [Amps] Advice on instruments for ham use
From: "Bill L. Fuqua" <wlfuqu00@uky.edu>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 17:42:39 -0500
     Tektronix used to make the very best analog scopes. It is ashame that they
donât make one now. I recall looking at demos before purchasing a large
number of scopes. And the Tek scopes always were best. The other scopes had
subtle problem in their electron optics that Tektronix solved years ago in
their CRTs.  When you had a straight horizontal line and shifted it to the top
or bottom of the display it would bow up or down.  Another  thing was, Tekâs
input amplifiers were almost blast proof  that continued into their early
digital scopes.
   We were looking into some 300MHz digital scopes one time and the Tek scopes
had their usual wide range of input voltages along with 1 Mohm input
resistance. HP met the frequency requirements but only had an input range of 10
volts or so. Not only that, the horizontal input had a completely different
input impedance so that you could not use the same probe for both vertical and
horizontal inputs.

73
Bill wa4lav