Re: [Amps] TL-922A - Loud Pop, Blown Fuses

To: "Clay Curtiss W7CE" <w7ce@curtiss.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] TL-922A - Loud Pop, Blown Fuses
From: "Tom Cathey" <k1jj@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2004 15:15:44 -0500
Hi Clay,

Not sure if this happens as soon as you throw the HV switch or not... but:

Start with a "conquer and divide" technique.  With plug unplugged and unit
off, with an ohmmeter that can read diode junctions, first measure the HV
diodes to make sure they are not shorted. Check the B+ output with an
ohmmeter for a short. If OK, then disconnect the HV lead from the final and
turn the unit on. If the fuse blows again, then you can eliminate the final
and look at the power supply.

If the supply is OK, then replace the tube if you have one as a test. With
the power off start measuring various items like the keying supply, etc for
obvious problems.

Post here once you've run these tests.

73,
Tom, K1JJ

> Yesterday morning when I turned on my TL-922A, there was a very loud pop
> followed by blown fuses.  I replaced the fuses, changed the setting to CW
> reduce the B+ voltage and tried again.  Similar result with several
smaller
> pops and then blown fuses.  I use a footswitch for T/R control and it
wasn't
> depressed nor was I transmitting with the exciter when I powered up.  I
> should also mention that I've heard a pop on power up two times
previously,
> but neither time caused a blown fuse.  I opened it up today for a visual
> inspection and see no signs of arcing or anything unusual.
>
> Before I dig into this thing, has anyone else experienced this problem?
Any