Re: [Amps] TL-922A - Loud Pop, Blown Fuses

To: "Clay Curtiss W7CE" <w7ce@curtiss.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] TL-922A - Loud Pop, Blown Fuses
From: "Tom Cathey" <k1jj@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2004 17:46:31 -0500
Hi Clay,

That's good - you've made some progress and eliminated 1/2 of the rig.

I take it you have no good 3-500Z spares to try. If not, I wouldn't worry
about blowing anything up by popping fuses.  Pull one tube out and fire it
up. If the amp works, try to load it up on 2100V to see if the amp puts out
some RF. If it does, then switch to the other single tube and see if it pops
the fuse. It's a 50-50 guess if it's only one tube.

It could be other things too, but this is the shortest path to get right to
the heart of the problem.

BTW, do the fil pins have ample air going by them? Your overheated fil choke
might be a clue that there's no air flow below the chassis. I have two
3-500Z amplifiers here. One has chimneys and is FB. The other had just a fan
and no air below. It was melting solder out of the fil pins. I ended up
adding a blower below to correct this and all is FB.  ie, Hopefully you
didn't damage a tube's seals and loose the vacuum, etc. I assume that they
both still light up OK?

Check the tubes as above and post again.

73,
Tom, K1JJ