Re: [Amps] TL-922A - Loud Pop, Blown Fuses

To: Clay Curtiss W7CE <w7ce@curtiss.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] TL-922A - Loud Pop, Blown Fuses
From: Vic Rosenthal <vic@rakefet.com>
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2004 14:55:01 -0800
Clay Curtiss W7CE wrote:

I don't
have access to a hy-pot tester, but a simple resistance check from filament
to grid on both tubes doesn't reveal a short.

Filament-to-grid shorts on 3-550Zs are common (I have seen two myself). Typically, the short disappears when the filament cools down. A short by itself doesn't necessarily cause a flashover; flashovers are often caused by gas in the tubes, which a hipot test will reveal. Symptoms of a f-g short include very high zero signal current, and damaged components.

In your position I would try one tube at a time. I understand your concern, however!

Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco