[Amps] Unknown tube amp

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Unknown tube amp
From: Chris Howard <chris@yipyap.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 08:23:15 -0700
Hi,

I recently inherited what is supposed to be a 1kw
homebrew AM transmitter.  It was built by W6MSC,
a former ham and retired engineer for VOA.

But, the PA doesn't have any tubes in it, so
I was thinking I would describe the situation
and maybe someone here could tell me what kind
of tubes this may use.

The driver stage appears to be using a 5-125A.

The PA has two tube sockets.  They are a two-pin
push-in-and-twist mount.  Each also has two
plate-cap type connectors, one at the top
and one maybe on the side?  The physical space
for the tubes seems to indicate they are
about 8 inches tall and the base is about 2 inches
in diameter.

I haven't got it put together enough yet to
know what the voltages would be.

W6MSC was active up through the early 80's on AM.
He is still living, but is no longer licensed.
A recent move has prompted him to clear out his
heavy iron.  I think this particular rig may
have last seen action circa 1984.

Chris
kc0atc