Re: [Amps] Unknown tube amp

To: Chris Howard <chris@yipyap.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Unknown tube amp
From: John Lawson <jpl15@panix.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 12:01:19 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004, Chris Howard wrote:

The PA has two tube sockets.  They are a two-pin
push-in-and-twist mount.  Each also has two
plate-cap type connectors, one at the top
and one maybe on the side?  The physical space
for the tubes seems to indicate they are
about 8 inches tall and the base is about 2 inches
in diameter.

This *might* be "outline 55" in the RCA transmitting tube manual (TT-5; 1962) but on skimming thru it, I don't find anything that would fit this. The Outline 55 has a top and side cap, and is of the dimensions you give - but going through hundreds of tube listings looking for a diagram of a triode with caps for grid and plate, and *then* trying to find where it lists the 'outline' for that particular device... dang! I couldn't narrow the search down using this latest RCA manual - I have four earlier RCA TTs going back to 1936, the full GE set, and an RCA HB-3, the Tung-Sol Power Reference, and all the Eimac stuff to go through - but hopefully someone will recognize that basing and give you the info.

If this does not happen, let me know and I'll search further, though it will take some time to complete.

Cheers

John KB6SCO