Re: [Amps] OT: RF Speech Processor Kits - Final Final

To: "Amps@Contesting. Com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] OT: RF Speech Processor Kits - Final Final
From: "Steve Thompson" <g8gsq@ic24.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 09:41:04 -0000
Ken G3WCS wrote:
> Thank you to everyone who contacted me both on and off list.
>
> Quite a lot of folk pointed me to audio clippers rather than RF
> Processors. Just for the information of the guys who don't know, there
> is a difference between the two.
>
> An audio clipper simply either compresses or clips (or both) the audio
> signal. This can (and often does) result in 'whiskers' or splatter
> which make the transmitted signal wider. This was not the design I
> was looking for.
Just for the record, can I mention that the split band audio clipper I
referred to isn't a simple compressor/clipper that generates lots of
harmonic distortion and splatter. By splitting the audio into sub-octave
bands you can clip each one, and then remove the harmonics, before
recombining so you end up with the same effect as rf clipping.

Steve