Re: [Amps] OT: RF Speech Processor Kits - Final Final

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] OT: RF Speech Processor Kits - Final Final
From: "Steve Thompson" <g8gsq@ic24.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 22:17:58 -0000
wb8jkr@juno.com wrote:
>  I'd  like to throw that unit together and experiment
> with it a bit, but it appears the Plessy SL1626 is
> not longer available .

The SL1626 is 'alc' before the clipper - you can leave it out and adjust the
input setting manually. Depending on the mic you might need to add a
straight gain stage. The auto gain adjust is useful in something like a
contest station where different people work the mic, and people shout when
things get hectic, but for an individual in a domestic shack I think it's
not necessary. The later VOGAD chip was SL627/SL6270 - as best I recall, it
was a drop-in replacement for the SL1626, but no less rare.

73, Steve