Re: [Amps] OT: RF Speech Processor Kits - Final Final

To: Steve Thompson <g8gsq@ic24.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] OT: RF Speech Processor Kits - Final Final
From: Gary Schafer <garyschafer@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 13:33:58 -0500

Steve Thompson wrote:
Ken G3WCS wrote:

Thank you to everyone who contacted me both on and off list.

Quite a lot of folk pointed me to audio clippers rather than RF
Processors. Just for the information of the guys who don't know, there
is a difference between the two.

An audio clipper simply either compresses or clips (or both) the audio
signal. This can (and often does) result in 'whiskers' or splatter
which make the transmitted signal wider. This was not the design I
was looking for.

Just for the record, can I mention that the split band audio clipper I referred to isn't a simple compressor/clipper that generates lots of harmonic distortion and splatter. By splitting the audio into sub-octave bands you can clip each one, and then remove the harmonics, before recombining so you end up with the same effect as rf clipping.

Steve

The problem with audio clipping for an ssb transmitter is that the audio wave form is not the same as the ssb wave form like it is on AM.

A square wave fed to an AM transmitter produces a square wave out.
A square wave fed to an ssb transmitter produces an infinite spike in its output.

When you clip audio you produce square waves. The more clipping the more near to ideal square waves you produce.

At high audio frequencies you can filter out the squared components and round them off somewhat and get rid of some of the high frequency component in the square wave. At the lower audio frequencies more of the harmonics fall in the audio band that you can't filter out.

The split band processors help in that they can filter out more of the unwanted components. But you still have the square wave problem being fed to the ssb transmitter although not as bad as with conventional audio clipping.

The reason that most audio clipping systems cut the low frequencies before clipping is to eliminate a lot of the trash from clipping as the low frequencies give the biggest problem when you are clipping.

Rf clippers solve those problems because all of the harmonics from clipping fall outside the bandpass of the rf filter.

73
Gary  K4FMX