Re: [Amps] Re: Why price difference/30S1

To: <amps@contesting.com>,"W2RU - Bud Hippisley" <W2RU@frontiernet.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Re: Why price difference/30S1
From: "Gary Smith" <wa6fgi@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 15:10:40 -0800
  From: W2RU - Bud Hippisley
  To: amps@contesting.com
  Sent: Thursday, February 03, 2005 2:47 PM
  Subject: [Amps] Re: Why price difference/30S1

  At 18:13 2005-02-03, Jim Isbell, W5JAI wrote:
  >Yes, but even though its a collectors item it is cheaper than an
  >equivilent "NEW" amp so you get a good amp AND you dont have
  >depreciation AND you save $1000 to $1500

  Expanding on W9GE's list, here's what I've come up with over the years as to
why I might want a newer amp:

  1.  I want to run the amplifier on 160.
  2.  I want to run an amplifier on the WARC bands (that allow it) with
reasonable tank circuit efficiency.
  3.  I want the built-in QSK of some of the newer amps.
  4.  I want to automate the band-switching of the amplifier (for instance, to
make sure it's always on the same band as myr transceiver or exciter when I hit
the key or the PTT switch).
  5.  I am bothered by the fact that older amplifiers in the USA were designed
against an FCC 1KW CW INPUT limit (versus today's 1.5KW OUTPUT limit).

  If none of the above are of concern, a Heath SB-220 is excellent value, in
the US$500 - 700 range the last time I looked.  I'm sure there are many other
brands and models, too -- I just happen to be real familiar with the SB-220,
since I still use one.

  Bud, W2RU